Visiting Scholars

The Centre welcomes expressions of interest from postdoctoral scholars and senior academics who are working in areas related to its own research interests. Academic Visitors are provided with research facilities, and encouraged to participate in seminars & workshops and contribute to the intellectual and social life of the Faculty during their visit. Visits would normally last between a term and one academic year.

Applicants must secure independent funding for accommodation and living expenses for the period of their proposed visit, and are asked to pay a monthly or termly charge of £200 per month (£600 per term), or £2000 per year as a standard bench fee. We are unable to assist with finding accommodation, college association, travel or visa arrangements.

Please note that space available within the Faculty is very limited, and provision of a dedicated desk cannot be guaranteed. There is a charge for provision of assigned desk-space with IT equipment. The current charge is £300 per month (£900 per term), or £3000 for 12 months. Please note that the bench fee mentioned above is absorbed within this fee.

Research Students

We do not participate in co-tutelle arrangements, and there are only limited opportunities for History graduates who are currently enrolled in another institution to come to Oxford on a short-term visit:

Recognised Student Status - This status is given to (a) graduate research students registered with another university and admitted by an Oxford faculty to undertake research for their degree for a minimum of one and maximum of three terms; and (b) to early career researchers admitted to work with an Oxford academic. It does not involve membership of a College or an Oxford qualification. If this is the status you need, please do not fill in the OCGH Academic Visitor Application Form, but instead apply for admission as a Recognised Student via the form here. Please note that we do not require support from our Head of Department to be included with your application.

Erasmus - Check whether your institution participates in this.